Friday, August 25, 2006

What Was the Name of That Book?

Back to what I'm reading -- have read, actually. Wednesday Marie Bellevaux asked on the Cerridwen authors' blog "what is the book that you most remember now? What book/author left a big impression on you that you still remember today?"

For me, The Bride by Julie Garwood immediately came to mind. It was the second romance I read. I love her historicals for a fun read and have to admit that I have not read any of her contemporaries for fear that they wouldn't be as fun. Second, I thought of Mary Jo Putney's (a continuing theme here) The Rake and the Reformer, for emotion. I read the original version and have it on my keeper shelf. Then, an historical I judged in RWA's RITA contest a couple of years ago came to mind. But, I can't for the life of me remember the author or the title. Bad Jean.

I'm pretty sure it opened in Vienna. The hero was Eastern European/German state nobility. The heroine probably was, too, although she was living in England. Maybe had a son. It was a reunion story. What I do remember is that it had rich historical detail and historical intrigue. I couldn't forget. I meant to save the book and look for more by the author, but, apparently, I donated the book to my library's annual book sale.

Anyone have any idea of what book I'm remembering.

No comments: