Sunday, August 13, 2006

What Are You Reading?

I just finished book four of Sara Donati's Wilderness Series. The books are historical romantic sagas set in post-revolutionary northern New York. Part of the fun in reading them has been recognizing the various settings in the stories. I've been to almost all of them.

They are all very long -- in the 600-page range -- and I've noticed a pattern. About half to three quarters through, my interest flags a bit. But I keep reading because the endings always leave me satisfied, but longing for more. I'm looking forward to the fifth book due out this fall.

What am I reading next? Mary Jo Putney's Bartered Bride. I don't know how I missed this one when it first came out. I've read all her books. A bit of trivia: Mary Jo grew up in the next little village over from where I grew up in Western New York.

8 comments:

LauraP said...

I just finished Mary Jo Putney's Stolen Magic.

Anonymous said...

I started Mary Jo Putney's The Burning Point just before I got back from vacation, but now that I'm home, I seem to have gotten out of the habit of picking up the book, so it's not getting finished very fast!

Debbie

Jean C. Gordon said...

Debbie -- I'm going to admit that the Burning Point is probably my least favorite MJ Putney book.

Ursula said...

I just finished a 500+ one: Susan Wiggs's Summer at Willow Lake. It held my interest all the way through and was one of the best reads I've had all year!

Jean C. Gordon said...

Chris -- I haven't read Summer at Willow Lake, but I really enjoyed Table for Five a couple of weeks ago.

Anonymous said...

I just finished Susan Wiggs' Summer at Willow Lake. So GREAT. I'm going out to buy her Table for Five. Oh, I see that Christine just read Summer at Willow Lake too. Great book!

Ursula said...

I'm bringing my copy of Summer at Willow lake to Crit. I had a feeling you might be into it!

LauraP said...

Summer at Willow Lake was last weekend's book. I loved it.